What is Cosmic Encounter?
Short answer: The best game in the world.
Long answer: Cosmic Encounter (CE) is hard to describe. It's a board game, it's a
card game, it's a power game, it's a beuracratic game, and yet
at the same time it is none of these things.
It's not a role-playing-game, though ever single RPG'er that I've
taught CE to has loved it.
It is initially a simple game, but then the players are given
powers that let them bend, change or break the rules. It was
the inspiration for Richard Garfield's famous game 'Magic: The
Gathering,' but unlike M:TG, you only need to buy it once.
Well, sort of. CE has been published by a number of gaming
companies in a number of countries, and geeks like me like
to get them all.
In 2020 I finally managed to make it to the
and made it to the finals, where sadly the game was thrown
by a kingmaker. That's a story for another time.
It's fun, basically. That's it.
All the Cosmic that has ever been, with images, rules, component lists.
New players often ask me how they should put together CE, here's my opinion.
And also, my (finally!) complete collection of Cosmic Encounter sets and accessories.
- Cosmic Encounter Awards
- CE FAQ
- Encounter Magazine
Courtesy of Bill Olmesdahl and Reda
- Component Lists
- Reviews of CE
- Print Source,
including Eon powers/flares,
Cedric Chin's massive set,
as well as the Encounter Magazine powers
- Peter Olotka <olotka -at- vsj.cape.com> (creator!), for answering questions.
- Bill Eberle, one of the creators
- Nicholas Sauer <njs -at- dnrc.bell-labs com> (original Mayfair
tester), source of lots of info!
- Aaron Feugi, Jack Reda - for their excellent sites
Staton for the Eon rulebooks
- Globetrotter for
the Alga information
- Marcus Vinicius Garrett Chiado, for scanning Contatos Cosmicos rules just for our site!
- Markus B. for coloring AH seventh and eighth player images.